Fast the Whole year – Optional Fasting I
Fast the whole year
Allah has bestowed His blessings giving a opportunity to fast for the whole year, or rather promised reward of fasting the whole year for one who fast the 6 days in Shawwal. It is reported from Abu Ayyob that Messenger (S) said: “Whoever fasts the month of Ramadan and then follows it by fasting six days in the month of Shawwal will be rewarded as if he had fasted the entire year”.[i] Yet the following Fiqh issues are to be given attention.
- There is no fasting on the Day of Eid
- There is no condition that the fasting should start on the 2nd of Shawwal, but it is always better.[ii]
- A person can fast in the initial, middle or ending days of Shawwal[iii]
- Fasting can be done continuously or otherwise. Continues fasting is more virtuous.[iv] Allah knows best.
- One should make up the missed fast of Ramadan, before one fast the Shawwal fasting.[v]
- Make- up fast and Shawwal Fasting cannot be combined.
- There is no problem in fast continuously the make- up fasting of Ramadan and the optional fasting of Shawwal.[vi]
- There is no Shawwal fasting after Shawwal.[vii]
- If someone intend for the fast of Shawwal, but could not perform it due to reasons valid according to the Sharia’a, then the person should hope for the reward.[viii]
[ii] Fatwa Arkanul Islam: Ibn Uthaymin
[iii] Fatwa Arkanul Islam: Ibn Uthaymin
[iv] Ibn Baaz, Fatwa Arkanul Islam: Ibn Uthaymin
[v] Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa.imah lil-Buhooth al-‘Ilmiyyah wal-Iftaa. – Volume 10, Page 401, Fatwa No.6774
[vi] Ibn Baaz
[vii] Ibn Baaz
[viii] Ibn Baaz, Ibn Uthaymin