Eid with our Prophet
Eid with my Prophet
Eid is both a celebration and an occasion of worship. A Muslim has to acquire both these aspects when observing the special day. The day appeals for mutual compassion between Muslims. Moreover, it is an event to thank Allah to worship Him in the month of Ramadan and ask forgiveness for failing Ramadan in any way. Adhering to the methodology of Prophet (S) and the companions is mandatory in celebrating Eid to realize the real meaning of Eid. Let us walk with Prophet (S) on this Eid.
- Prophet (S) used to wear the best cloth.[i] [ii]
- commanded women to attend the Mussalla.[iii]
- said that “the menstruating women should keep away from the place of prayer”.[iv]
- eat some dates before going to the place of prayer[v]
- walk to the place of prayer located near the entrance of Medina.[vi]
- pronounce takbir loudly on the way to Musalla[vii]
- “performed the prayer when the sun rises to the length of a spear above the horizon”[viii]
- performed the prayer of Eid al Fitr in two raka’hs;[ix] without Adhan nor with Iqamah[x]; with 7 takbir before seeking refuge with Allah and reciting Qur’an in the first raka’h and 5 takbirs in the second raka’h[xi];
- raised his hands on pronouncing every takbir[xii];
- apart from al- Fathiha recited sura al- A’la in the first rak’ah and sura al- Ghashiya’a in the second rak’ah[xiii] or sura al- Qaf in the first rak’ah and sura al- Qamar in the second rak’ah[xiv]
- recited the Qur’an aloud[xv]
- delivered the sermon after the prayer[xvi]. There were two sermons separated by sitting for a while as in the Juma’a prayer[xvii]
- never made any supererogatory prayer before or after eid prayer[xviii]
- used to go out to Musalla by one route and come back by another[xix]
- gave charity to those in need, visited his relatives and uphold the ties of kinship.[xx]
- performed two raka’hs returning from the Musalla at home.
[i] Imam Malik (r) has stated that Abdullah Ibn Umar used to take a bath on Eid [Muwatta]
[ii]“The Prophet (S) has a loose outer garment, which he used to wear on the two feasts …..” [Ibn Khuzaymah]
[iii] But they are neither to be perfumed nor to wear adorned cloths that attract others.
[iv]Bukhari, Muslim. Umm Atiyyah (r) narrated: ‘we were ordered to come out on the day of feast and even bring out the virgin girls from their houses and the menstruating women. Menstruating women would stand behind people and say takbir along with them, invoke Allah, hope for blessings of that day and for purification from sins’ [Bukhari Muslim]
[v] “The Prophet (S) used to not to go out (for prayer) on the Day of Fast- breaking before eating, and he used not to eat on the Day of Sacrifice before performing the Feast prayer.” [Ahmad, Ibn Majah, Tirmidhi, Ibn Khuzymah]
[vi]Abu Said (r) said that Prophet (S) used to proceed to the place of prayer on the Day of Fast- breaking and the Day of Sacrifice.” [Bukhari, Muslim] and it is not reported that He performed the feast- prayer at the mosque except with an excuse since he started it on Hijra 2.
[vii]The Qur’an itself states that “….to complete the period and glorify Allah for that to which Ha has guided us…” (2: 185). Ad- Daruqutni and Al- Hakim relates that whenever Ibn Umar (r) went out to perform the eid prayer on the Eid al Fitr and Day of Sacrifice , he used to pronounce takbir aloud until he reaches the place of prayer, then he would pronounce takbir until the imam came”
[viii] It is considered as an act of sunnah to delay the prayer of the Eid- Fitr. Imam Shafi’e relates an hadith in the Mursal form that the Prophet (S) sent to ‘Amr ibn Hazm saying: “Perform the prayer of Day of sacrifice early, delay that of the Eid al Fitr, and remind people (to mention Allah).” [Abdur Razaq] The fact that it helps people enough time to give their Zakathul Fitr is a plausible reason for such an opinion. Allah knows best.
[ix]Ibn Abbas (r) relates that “The Prophet (S) performed a prayer of two units (raka’hs) of prayer on the Day of Eid al fitr and he did not perform prayer before or after them” [Bukahri Muslim]
[x]Jabir (r)said: “I performed the feast prayer along with Allah’s Messenger (S) several times and he performed prayer before delivering the sermon without pronouncing Adhan or Iqamah.” [Muslim]
[xi]Abdullah ibn Amr narrates: “The Prophet (S) pronounced takbir in the eid prayer twelve times: 7 times in the first rak’ahs and five times in the second one” [Ahmed, Ibn Majah, Abu Dawud, Ad- Daraqutni]
[xiii]Samurah said: “Allah’s Messenger (S) used to recite in the prayer of the two eids , the sura Al- ‘Ala and the sura Al- Ghashiya’ah” [Ahmed] Also narrated in Abu Dawud, An- Nasa’I, Ahmed, Ibn Majah and Muslim
[xiv] Muslim, Abu Dawud, At- Tirmidhi, An- Nasa’I and Ibn Majah
[xv]Ibn Umar (r) said: “The Prophet (S) used to recite the Quran aloud in the prayers of the two eids and in the prayer for rain” [Ad- Daraqutni]
[xvi] Ibn Umar (r) said: “ Allah’s Messenger (S), Abu Bakr, Umar, and Uthman used to perform the prayers of the two eids before delivering the sermon” [Bukhari, Muslim]
[xvii]Ibn Majah related on the authority of Jabir (r) that Allah’s Messenger (S) delivered the sermon while standing, then he sat for a while, and then the stood (again to complete delivering the sermon). Abu Dawud, An- Nasa’I Bukhari and Muslim also reported it.
[xviii]The Prophet (S) performed a prayer of two units on the Day of the eid al- Fitr and he did not perform prayer before and after them.” [Bukhari, Muslim]
[xix]Jabir Ibn Abdullah said that the Prophet (S) used to vary his route on the day of Eid. [Bukhari].
[xx] There is no report claiming Prophet (S) greeting people saying “May Allah accepts from us and from you”. However there are authentic reports that the sahaba greeted it one another. Jubair Ibn Nufayr said: “At the time of the Prophet (S), when people met one another on the Day of Eid, they would say, ‘Taqabal Allahu Minnaa va Minka’”. [Ibn Hajar. Its Isnaad is Hasan]